Wednesday, May 20, 2009

(not so) Lucky Gardens

These are the trails of Lucky Gardens - they're wide, well used and always a pleasure to walk or run. I fell in love with these trails when I started hashing - the feel of being in an old and well loved jungle - it was unlike any other. And when I started leading the Monday walks, Lucky Gardens was the first walk I marked and with it's friendly trails I learnt to recognize areas and it quickly became my favourite. Early last year we lost much of the jungle of neighbouring Simpang 370 and it was a relief when the bulldozers stopped but it wasn't to be as they moved into a section of Lucky a couple of weeks ago.





This was all jungle last week. A beautiful green jungle with amazing trees, plants, spiders, snakes, ants, butterflies and even monkeys.




And now all that's left is a map showing us what used to be here - note the Nepali names - these trails were cut by Gurkhas soldiers.


WHAT A SAD SIGHT! 

No comments: