Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Another jungle, another pit viper

I was part of a trio laying a straight forward run for the hash yesterday morning in the area we call Lucky Gardens. A branch had fallen across the trail and Bettina jumped the log with the intention of moving it. As I had spotted the snake, she walked past it without a care not noticing it at all! I was impressed how calmly we all took it - a couple of years ago I would have screamed and jumped! With the triangular head I think it was a baby pit viper though he was rather small but we didn't want to get too close because he was not impressed with us and was acting very defensive. So we didn't hang about and left him alone and by the afternoon he had moved on. After the kids hash a few weeks ago anyone reading this is probably going to think that there are snakes round every jungle path corner - in two years walking this is the fifth snake I have seen and I have been lucky because I know some who have walked for years and never spotted any - so as not to put off anybody thinking of walking in the Brunei jungle, snakes are not spotted as commonly as you might fear!


No comments: