Sunday, May 22, 2011

I ran... sort of...

It was just over a month ago that Boel convinced me to join her for the 8km run of HSBC WalkRunCycle charity event. It's for charity plus there's an array of lucky draw prizes so why not?

Physically I am able to run - I manage it every tuesday evening - but somehow running outside the jungle without the hills, thorns, ants and whatever else thats chasing me to run, its a different story. My body feels heavy, lacks the drive to carry on and just plain lazy! So no, I didn't do much training for the event and last night I did go into a bit of a panic especially as our average run on a tuesday is only 3km.

But Boel has done several races before and the plan was to run for 5 mins and walk for 1 min. Predictably with the rain and whatnots the start was delayed for nearly an hour so despite being wet the weather was on our side. We started off well... and by about the 3rd km I was really into it and took off by myself. Big mistake... I got bored running on my own and just kind of lost interest and energy. So the last 3.5k was a struggle but I did it finishing the 7.5km in 50mins - for some reason the organizers knocked 0.5k off the run (?).

Bright and sparkly before the start

Not so after the race

And our "been there... done that..." photo

We taking about doing the next event and despite not enjoying the whole run and not winning a lucky draw prize, I did have a fun morning. So yes Mrs. W I think we will go for it again but next time tell me not to be stupid when I decide to go running off!

No comments: