Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Face to face with a green serpent!


Yesterday was probably one day in the jungle that I dreaded would ever happen. We were up on the Mentiri road, probably one of my favorite walks. I have previously ran the area once on a hash followed by marking it on a walk. I am familiar with the walk now and yesterday was able to lead it confidently. We started off on a fab note, we saw baby spiders in a web and birds were singing for us. It was a cool morning and the jungle was more beautiful than usual. About three quarters way through, Carolyn and I were chatting in front when Margaret came forward to swiftly push us ahead and get the other 3 to come through quickly . None of us knew what was going on or what Margaret had seen but she stopped us and said that we had all just walked past a snake on a branch basking in the sun. 
I WALKED PAST IT!!!! All I can say is I am glad that I did not spot it first cos I would have screamed and screamed!!! 
Seven years Margaret has been walking in the jungle and she has never seen a snake. Of course she wanted to go back so she leashed her dog and Carolyn held on to her whist I stood there shaking. Meanwhile the others crept back to admire the snake and take pictures. I was happy to walk away and even thought of passing my camera to one of the others but I would never have forgiven myself to pass the opportunity so I crept us off the path and shakily took the pictures. What a beauty but so much fear in me! Naj said she wished she took a picture of fear in my face. Following opinions from others we reckon it was viper but one that had just had a big meal thus no interest in moving. I must admit I suddenly lost my nerve walking freely in the jungle and needed a helping hand but what do I expect it is a jungle with wild creatures afterall!

No comments: