Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The English Market in Cork


If there was one place in the the City Centre of Cork that Donncha and I cannot avoid, its got to be the English Market. The market is the oldest of its kind dating back to 1788. Today in the market you get an array of the freshest ingredients and food. We love looking at the seafood stalls and all the cold water fish we don't get back at home including fresh oysters when they're in season - we've been known to have a couple right there. There is also a wide selection of meats of all kinds, cheese stalls, bread, pastries, organic shops, delicatessens. The place is a haven for the food lover and we like nothing better than walk around, drool and wish such ingredients were available to us at home.



And after the walk around it would be rude not to have a coffee and a little cake before we hit the streets for some retail therapy!



3 comments:

Eileen said...

maria i do love your pictures of the english market. eileen

Maria said...

Thanks so much Eileen - I do miss it. We had such a lovely holiday and look forward to next summer. And it was great to see you all. xxx

Cookiedough said...

Oh my I practically screeched when I saw this post! I used to buy my Maggi noodles and soya sauce at one of the Asian stalls there. The guys at the fish stalls always knew my orders when I came by. Aahhhh memories! More and more I'm kicking myself for not taking all these pictures when I was there! Thank you! :)