Monday, October 22, 2007

PopPop

If there was one thing that this Hari Raya has made it for Jack is the fireworks. I grew up with fireworks, Hari Raya would not be the same for me without them. They were not legal when I was growing up but everyone still had them. My sisters and I used to divide our stash into three equal piles that we would play on the first three nights of Raya. The smell of the white smoke, the excitement from lighting a rocket and running away quickly....it's all happy memories for me.

Wanting my own to experience the joy of fireworks during this time of year, I decided to introduce them gently by buying a small selection of tame ones. Iman have always enjoyed them but Jack naturally was not keen on them, initially running away screaming and then only watching from faraway. But one thing that he did take to immediately are the little "pop...pops" or "magic rocks" which are tiny parcels that give off a small bang if thrown to the ground or stamped on. Three or four weeks on, it has now become a daily habit for Jack and with Hari Raya now fading away I will have to start weaning him off his mini bangs. Even Ayden can sit forever just watching him throw them to the ground and then stamping on the ones unexploded.





As for actual fireworks, Jack no longer looks away with fright but jumps about with excitement a safe distance away. Even Ayden protests when he's taken indoors, he wants to watch everything firsthand. Luckily our neighbourhood shop is still selling the stuff but once that runs out we will have to raid my nephew Amin's stock when he's not looking!

No comments: