Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Introducing Kiriyo Kuchina-San


We have visiting friends from Japan this week, Kuchina-San and her daughter Taka-San. Kuchina-San is a long time friend of my Mum's but this is only my second time meeting her (the first time only last November). Kuchina-San is a master craftsman in her art "Kiriyo Ori" which is based on the traditional Japanese weaving form of Saganishiki. I'm not an artist but basically it's traditional weaving at its best using the best materials only, including real gold and platinum threads. Her works are amazingly beautiful and unique and its no surprise that she has exhibits in the Metropolitan Art Museum and The White House. Kuchina-San is holding an exhibition in Brunei this week and we have been most privileged to view her masterpieces. 




This piece of art Kuchina-San wove for her 13 year old grandson when he was born

Explaining her work to my mother and Taka-San as translator

I also took our new friends out material shopping - Kuchina-San also makes casual handbags as a hobby. We found beautiful imported fabrics in one shop which I have never been to myself and was very surprised by the quality and selection they had. I don't think I have seen so much quality fabric in one place - a room full of lace, another full of sarees, another with Thai Silks. And the best thing about it all - there is no import tax on fabrics in Brunei. I felt like a tourist myself!

No comments: