Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pilgrimage

Aplogies for not posting for a week but Ayden has not been very well and to be honest I have just been exhausted by the end of the day. We did have Iman's ballet school concert in the weekend and I yet have to post the pictures - Suisse Maman, I need your technical expertise!

Today was a big day for the Taib family with my parents and my nephew Amin leaving for the pilgrimage to Mecca. Amin looked very smart in matching outfits with my Dad. It's a big trip for him being his first Hajj. Aside from the religious experience it will also be the experience of being amongst 2 million other pilgrims from all over the world and all walks of life. My parents are familiar with both Mecca and Medina having performed the Umrah on several ocassions but this will only be their second Hajj. Insyaallah they will all perform the Hajj comfortably and trouble-free.

Both Mecca and Meddina are now fairly modern cities. I think both have Starbucks. Amin is looking forward to having Movenpick icecream in Mecca. I also gather that shopping is fantastic and can rival most western cities. I think they now have a Next and a Debenhams! I am fortunate to have gone on Umrah on 3 ocassions. On my last trip in 1999 I enjoyed shopping at the traditional Arab markets - not that shopping is a priority when visiting a holy city. But with so many shops around what can you do! Our hotel overlooked the Holy Mosque. I had a view of the Holy Kaabah and I was fascinated that that the city never slept with people contantly streaming in and out of the mosque. I managed to take some pictures of the mosque - will have a root around for them.


Ayden having a hug from my Dad at the airport waiting room. (Note the location - we do not have that lovely wallpaper in our house). They will be away for a whole month and will be missed by all the grandchildren especially by Ayden and Jack.

Making a trip to Mecca, especially the Hajj has always been an emotional one for our family. Pictured below is my paternal Grandfather, Dato Haji Mohamed Taib who made his pilgrimage around this time 33 years ago. Tragically for us he had an illness and very sadly passed away in the holy city and was buried there.

No comments: