Thursday, November 15, 2007

Think It's All Over

It has been exactly two weeks since Jack had his last feed from me. After four years and ten months of breastfeeding I think I can finally conclude that this chapter of motherhood in my life is over.

I am very proud to say that I successfully breastfed all three children. Iman and Jack were breastfed during my last two pregnancies and subsequently all three children were breastfed together; Iman with Jack and then Jack with Ayden. Iman and Jack loved feeding together often holding hands even when Jack was very young but Ayden did not enjoy feeding with Jack and usually took the opportunity to have a swipe at Jack so I did not prolong tandem feeding the two boys.

Iman was a keen feeder - she did not have any solids until 8 months - and eventually weaned at 2 years 11 months. Ayden weaned himself at 11 months preferring the bottle. And as for Jack he would still be on my breast today if I had encouraged it.

I loved feeding the babies. There was the parctical side of not having to wash and stearilise bottles especially in the first few months but there was also the satisfaction of nourishing them from your own body. But saying all that I can't say that I will miss it. I enjoyed it but am also relieved that I've done my part and its over. It's now great to reach for a diet coke or coffee and not be racked with guilt. Plus it's nice to elbow Donncha at night when he's around and get him to make a bottle - he's had it easy for too long !

1 comment:

SPJ said...

Well done chicky! xx