Sunday, September 07, 2008

First Sunday in September

All around the globe today, Irish will be tuning in over the internet, on long wave radio or if they are lucky on TV to watch the greatest of all Irish spectacles - the All Ireland Hurling Final. My home county has always been very successful and I've grown up experiencing the ups and downs of the All Ireland - the early morning wake up, the long journey to Dublin (nothing compared to what I do these days) and the excitement of Croke Park. I cried at my first All Ireland when Cork were beaten (by Kilkenny) but I've also cried with joy at other times, none more so than when Cork won the double (Hurling and Football).

This year, it's the turn of Kilkenny (again and they may break a record for the most All Irelands, passing Cork !) and Waterford (it's been over 40 years since they've made it to a final). I'm listening over the internet from Bangkok airport enroute to London. For those who are interested, I've included probably the best goal ever scored on the hurling field - John Fenton in Thurles (for Cork of course) and I'm happy to report I was there that day - how we were taught to play hurling, first time and on the ground.


No comments: